Tuesday 14 May 2013

Pattern support and books

I was going to write a blog post about tension, but I still haven't got it quite right in head what I want to say, so I thought I would write about what is in my head.
Which are the 2 books I am working on at the moment.

You may of noticed NDS has started selling knitting patterns, we have introduced 3 stunning new shawl patterns in the last couple of weeks.

There is Jubilant by Jacqui Harding

Marrakesh by Judy Furlong


And Valeriana Estonica by Kristina Vilimaite


All 3 patterns are free if you buy the yarn to make them with, just e-mail us after you have placed your order.

We/I have decided that if we sell knitting patterns that it takes the pressure off me as a designer and means that I can do what I want rather than what I feel I need to do.

1 - I like making garments for me to wear, but I hate writing garment patterns, I hate having to do the sizing and trying to explain the shaping. I am very lucky to have Valerie  my brilliant tec editor who walks me through step by step and makes my garment patterns a reality. But I get stressed just thinking about doing them.
So I'm going to stop writing garment patterns.
I will say I might do more at sometime in the future, because I have learnt that saying never means that as soon as the word leaves my mouth I will start working on one next week.

2 - I will concentrate on the things that I am obsessed with, at the moment its my triangle motif and the book I plan for the summer.
I have to finish my second motif book first, I don't really want to do it, but I've promised I will and its so close to being finished if I work really hard I can get it published by June.



My triangles book has been cleverly re-named by Valerie, she's seen the very first draft and all my dyslexic notes and suggested I call it Madder Triangles and not Orange Triangles.
At the moment "Madder Triangles" is the centre of my universe, its the only thing I think about and apart from Tinkerbell is my main topic of conversation.
This book demands all my time and I can't waait to turn it into a reality
Its going to have 5 different design's, 2 projects of each and lots and lots of information on re-sizing and different yarn types.
I've finished 3 projects - Lecchi, Isabella and Serefina.
And am working on another 3 - Spiro, Icarus and Plankton
I'll be working on Myrtle next and thinking about the last 3 projects as I crochet.

I've been trying to decide whether I should show you the finished designs as I make them or to keep them secret.
I think I should show you as then you can decide if you want to buy the book or not
You've already seen Lecchi and Isabella as they have both been  published in magazines.
Serefina is the crochet project club shawl, Iacurus is the lace version with extra colours.
And you've seen the Spiro wip that we took to Germany.
You've also seen Florence which is a different colour version of Myrtle and a baby blanket given to baby Florence.

That leaves Plankton, its a rubbish photo, but the only one I have


Ok - Back to the dyeroom to dye more yarn for Madder Triangles and maybe you too if I have any to spare :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment